I am a big fan of gift toppers – ribbons, flowers, bows – bring them on. It’s always wonderful to receive a gift, and seeing that special touch of an embellishment is really nice too.
Sometimes you may have so much going on that crafting a fancy topper or making that run to the stationery shop may be out of the question. While looking for quick options to create a bow, I came across this one from the inspiring designer at How about Orange. Since I didn’t have a printer on hand, I decided to use the inspiration to make my own version with sticky notes.
These paper bows have come to my rescue often, making that simple gift a wee bit more endearing. And the best part is that they don’t need any elaborate printing or cutting. Just use your trusty sticky notes to give a gift added flair.
I’ve used sticky note prompts, but you can make these from pretty much any size or shape of sticky notes.
Supplies from your desk
• sticky note prompts – 3 per bow
• a glue stick or Fevicol
• a pair of scissors
• a pencil (optional)
How to make the paper bows
1. Take one note prompt and create a loop by sticking together the narrow edges. Now repeat with the second note.
2. Slide a pencil into the loop and pinch the glued edges as shown above. Glue the pinched bits to create a gentle crease. Do this for the other loop as well.
3. Stick the two loops to each other by overlapping the pinched edges.
4. Set aside for the joint to dry.
5. Now take the third sticky note and snip off a narrow piece from one end.
6. Wrap it tightly around the pencil to curl it. Hold for a few seconds and unfurl the curly strip.
7. Cover the joint with this sliver of paper; glue the edges to the bow.
8. Hold the paper in place with your fingers until the glue dries.
9. Fold the remaining piece of the third sticky note in half.
10. Snip off a triangle from the open side to create the ends for the bow.
11. Unfold and cut along the crease to get two pieces. Glue each piece to the back of a loop of the bow so that the edge with the ‘V’ sticks out over the loop.
12. Ta-da. Your pretty, chic bow is now ready to adorn your gift.
These super quick, easy bows look great on gift boxes, paper bags, books and can even cheer up a brown paper bag. So go ahead and make some right away!